- “The Search for World Order in the Twenty-first Century.” Situating Canada in a Changing World: Constructing a Modern and Prosperous Future. Eds. Adam Chapnick and Aaron Shull. Waterloo: Centre for International Governance Innovation, 2022. 3-7.
- “Historical Reflections on Canadian Foreign Policy as an Academic Experience.” Canadian Foreign Policy: Reflections on a Field in Transition. Eds. Brian Bow and Andrea Lane. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2020. 39-54.
- “St-Laurent's Gray Lecture and Canadian Citizenship in History.” The Unexpected Louis St-Laurent: Politics and Policies for a Modern Canada. Ed. Patrice Dutil. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2020. 450-465.
- “From Policy and Strategy to Outcomes.” Canadian Defence Policy in Theory and Practice. Eds. Thomas Juneau, Philippe Lagasse, and Srdjan Vucetic. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2020. 81-97.
- “Pearson and the United Nations: Tracking the Stoicism of a Frustrated Idealist.” Mike's World: Lester B. Pearson and Canadian External Affairs. Eds. Asa McKercher and Galen Roger Perras. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2017. 70-87.
- “Canadian Foreign Policy.” Oxford Bibliographies in Political Science. Ed. Sandy Maisel. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016. With Jean-Christophe Boucher. [electronic only]
- revised and republished (March 2019).
- revised and republished (September 2021).
- "Stephen Harper's Israel Policy." The Harper Era in Canadian Foreign Policy: Parliament, Politics , and Canada's Global Posture. Eds. Adam Chapnick and Christopher J. Kukucha. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2016. 105-120.
- "Introduction: Conservative Foreign Policy in the Harper Era." With Christopher J. Kukucha. The Harper Era in Canadian Foreign Policy: Parliament, Politics, and Canada's Global Posture. Eds. Adam Chapnick and Christopher J. Kukucha. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2016. 3-21.
- "Afghanistan - Some Lessons Learned: A Personal Academic Perspective." Australia and Canada in Afghanistan: Perspectives on a Mission. Eds. Jack Cunningham and William Maley. Toronto: Dundurn Press, 2015. 81-97.
- "Refashioning Humane Internationalism in Twenty-First-Century Canada." Rethinking Canadian Aid. Eds. Stephen Brown, Molly den Heyer, and David R. Black. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2014. 35-50.
- “The Politics of Reforming Canada’s Foreign Aid Policy.” Struggling for Effectiveness: CIDA and Canadian Foreign Aid. Ed. Stephen Brown. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2012. 305-326.
- republished in the 2nd edition (2016), 37-53.
- “The Department of External Affairs and the United Nations Idea, 1943-1965.” In the National Interest: Canadian Foreign Policy and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, 1909-2009. Eds. Greg Donaghy and Michael K. Carroll. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2011. 81-100.
- “Canadian Foreign Policy 1945-1968.” Readings in Canadian Foreign Policy: Classic Debates and New Ideas. Eds. Duane Bratt and Christopher J. Kukucha. 2nd ed. (Don Mills: Oxford University Press , 2011), 17-30.
- republished in the 3rd edition (2015), 28-41.
- “Running in Circles: The Canadian Independence Debate in History.” An Independent Foreign Policy for Canada? Challenges and Choices for the Future. Eds. Brian Bow and Patrick Lennox. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2008. 25-40.
- “‘A Question of Degree: The Prime Minister, Political Leadership, and Canadian Foreign Policy.” The World in Canada: Diaspora, Demography and Domestic Politics. Eds. David Carment and David Bercuson. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2008. 16-30.
- “Lester B. Pearson et le concept de la paix.” Guide du Maintien de la Paix. Ed. Jocelyn Coulon. Outremont, QC : Athéna, 2007. 15-26
- “Introduction: An Abundance of Nationalisms.” With Norman Hillmer. Canadas of the Mind: The Making and Unmaking of Canadian Nationalisms in the Twentieth Century. Eds. Norman Hillmer and Adam Chapnick. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2007. 3-14.
- “Caught in Between Traditions: A Minority Conservative Government and Canadian Foreign Policy.” Canada Among Nations 2006. Eds. Andrew F. Cooper and Dane Rowlands. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2006. 58-75.
- “The Axworthy Revolution.” With Norman Hillmer. Canada Among Nations 2001: The Axworthy Legacy. Eds. Fen Osler Hampson, Norman Hillmer and Maureen Molot. Toronto: Oxford University Press, 2001. 65-88.